Monday, June 22, 2009

MY FABULOUS $10.00 BENCH & A FUN DAY OF BUYING GOODIES







How beautiful is this bench?? I am a new upholster, all self taught. I take on projects one at a time and somehow figure out what to do. This was purchased at a town wide sidewalk sale on June 20 th in the stockade section of Schenectady , NY - sidewalk sale because hardly anyone had a driveway or garage. The homes date from the late 1700 to early 1900's along side of the Mohawk River. They were so pretty. I went to this sale with my friend Jen from Tennessee who has a shop similar to mine http://www.vintagehomeinteriors.com/ - We walked around with our pink wagon in tow and filled up the truck repeatedly until we couldn't fit any more. So many people we're staring at us and all of our good finds. We we're so excited and proud of ourselves. So, back to my bench...It was very beaten up looking with springs popping out of the seat and tattered material- but WOW only $10.00, what a great buy, I thought? I think i just found my next project! The very next day pulled it all apart, started painting it, and as the paint went on I thought- oh how fabulous! I just received a white chenille bedspread in the mail just as I finished the distressing. I said, OH YES!! this is perfect!! I happily finished it and placed it on my showroom floor. I gradually fell in love with it and realized- I just can't sell this- this must come home with me!!! I thought, when will I see a piece like this again??? It now sits in my foyer and looks so fantastic! It looks very inviting and the perfect piece for that spot. I hope everyone has a great day.



2 comments:

  1. OMG! You are so LUCKY!! It is beautiful! Everything about it is so gorgeous! I wouldn't be able to give that bench up either. Thanks for sharing.

    Toodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an amazing find! I just love the lines of that bench and I totally agree with you, I couldn't have sold it either:)

    ReplyDelete